Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Blog #6 - What I Learned About Twitter

As someone who uses Twitter almost daily, I was surprised to learn about the history of the app. To be fair, most of my Twitter usage boils down to finding memes about current events and arguing with strangers every Thursday night's after the week's new episode of Law and Order: SVU -- so I can hardly say that I use Twitter for the majority of my news. However, I still learned some valuable, interesting information that I was glad to obtain. 


For starters, I didn't know that Twitter was originally supposed to be an audio/MP3 program. Twitter was originally supposed to be like a podcasting app. However, due to Apple's release of iTunes, the original plan failed. It was later taken over as a whole new kind of app, and it was crowned with the name of "Twttr". Twttr was intended to be a fast, efficient way of getting the latest news on current events. It also allowed Twttr users to be able to share their opinions/thoughts on what was happening in the world, which was called "updating their status". 


Twttr was eventually bought out by someone else, and the name was changed to Twitter. Twitter has changed immensely over the years, and now Twitter is used for far more than news. The usage of hashtags started with Twitter, and it created the idea of hashtag activism. We were able to see this with the #MeToo movement as well as the #BLM movement. Hashtags created an accurate algorithm for users' feeds, and they were able to bring light to world changing events. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: Our Relationship with Technology, Technology's Relationship with Us

There's no doubt that technology has become the center of society. As long as I've been around, technology has been a huge part of t...